Saturday, 15 February 2014

Where are the "Merry Men"?

I went to Sherwood Forest today.  Yes, that's right, the one where the story of Robin Hood and his gang of thieves originated from.  I did not see any men in green tights, nor did I see any merry men.  I went on a bus tour out of Grimsby and despite the fact that I was the only one under 70 years of age, I really enjoyed the opportunity to see something different.  I took Kevin's advice and brought my good camera with a proprietary lens.  It makes you think about the image a bit more than if you have a zoom.  I cheated a bit, I took my point and shoot too for those wide angle shots that the 50mm could not accomodate.
Before heading to Sherwood we went to a place called Hodsock Priory.  There was an event called a "snowdrop festival".  Snowdrops are one of the earliest spring flowers here and they were in splendid form.  Most of the shots below are wild flowers/garden, only a couple are in pots.
I am telling you this is a sign that spring is coming Canada, do not fear.

Jack in the Pulpit

Snow Drops, they are so fragrant.




Why?



Not sure, but I think these are yellow snow drops, someone must have peed on them (Canadian joke). 

Crocus







Clematis


Hydrangea


















Sherwood Forest



Fungas

Major Oak, 500 yrs old.

Petrified wood/trunk.


I fell in love with all the tree bark and moss, isn't this one magnificent?  It is at the base of an old tree, no longer living but supporting all this life.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Melanie... You will be happy to know that we had another dump of snow last night. They say 2-3 cm, It was deeper where i was shoveling. there was a deep freeze over the weekend ...-24 c yesterday morning. -5 this morning.

    I like your pictures... that 50 mil lens does a great job. Whats with the fuzzy vignette that I am seeing on some of the images? ... Major Oak in particular. And whats with the poles? Support for the branches?

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos, especially the ones of the flowers. Can't wait until our Spring arrives. I am bloody tired of snow, ice, and winter in general. Had to break up some ice so that the water could flow better. At one point the farmers could not get any syrup to flow because it was too cold. Hey our ladies were absolutely brilliant at the Olympic Ice Hockey game, now we cheer on for gold for our team for the last hockey game on Sunday.. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete