Sunday, 6 December 2015

Getting that "Christmas Feeling"

We  went to Chatsworth House today.  Located in the heart of England and home to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire.  It was built in the late 1500's and was all done up for Christmas.  The theme was from Wind in the Willows story books with the main character of Mr. Toad.  The trees were incredible and the gardens were vast.  If you think you have seen this building before than you probably have, it was Mr. Darby's home in the movie Pride and Prejudice (2005).  It was also mentioned in the novel Pride and Prejudice.
It was a great warm up for Christmas.  In less than two weeks I'll be setting up my own tree for the first time in three years.


This is the Crooked Spire which graces the City of Chesterfield.

It was intended to be straight but the wood warped before it was finished.

The front of the house.



Much of the ornamentation is gold leaf, even the gates sparkle.



I was so caught up in the characters that I was overlooking the beautiful art work.

Graham pointed this one out to me, this is the early inspiration to the body works sculptures.













A library/music room for Maureen.




Loved this chandelier.





The Beautiful cascading waterfall.

The back of the house.

The coal tunnel running from a pit to the house.

The maze was too difficult for me today, I quit after 20 min we still had not found our way in.  I couldn't imagine how long it would take to find the way back out.








Even the plastic chairs were classy.

As beautiful as this was it won't compare to home.


2 comments:

  1. Chatsworth House is stunning! The grounds are so beautiful. The house looks like loads of fun - liked the way they decorated for Christmas. Guess you would have heard by now that there is a high percentage of no snow for this Christmas. It has been on the warm side for this month so far. I know you are so looking forward to being home and being with family. Have a brilliant Christmas with your loved ones. Big hugs mate. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following the weather predictions and I am thankful for good driving weather but still hoping for some snow.
    Take care, have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete