I have to start by telling you a small back story. I have never read a Harry Potter book nor seen a Harry Potter movie through to the end, before last week. And as of now, I have only watched two and a half of the feature films. (get that, 93/4 and 21/2) But going to the Warner Bros., Harry Potter Studio Tour in London was on my to-do list since realizing it existed. Not because I am a fan but because I appreciate art.
So imagine 4 hours on a bus to get there and another 4 hours return. I thought that they could have at least shown a movie on board for those of us "not in the know". Then I rationalized the fact that copyright protection might stop them.
When we arrived I had a bit of time in the gift shop where anything remotely associated with the film could be purchased. I became a bit cynical at first, thinking they made the movie only to sell the merchandise. But I was back in the spirit as soon as I stepped foot onto the first set.
The tour takes up two film stages(J&K good sense on humor) and begins in the great hall and then builds like a fireworks display; props, sets, costumes, a break for lunch, outside for larger sets then animatronics, Diagon Alley, the artists studio and gallery, card models and then the climax a 1/32" scale model of Hogwarts. I was in awe.
On the way back they decided it might be a good time to show weary travellers the second Harry Potter movie. I enjoyed watching it again until the video player broke down a third of the way through. This was a good thing though, it gave me the opportunity to converse with a young nine year old, who was exceptionally bright and ironically named "Harry". He schooled me on the the blood lines and time lines of the characters and how they are related to one another. Mid-way through I had to own up to the fact that I was not well versed in the world of Potter and while this seemed to disappoint him at first he rose to the challenge of educating me.
Once I arrived home and literally put my feet up, I began to think about how the invention of the camera allowed artists the opportunity to leave portrait painting and experiment and morph into modern art. But what about contemporary times? Few artists make a comfortable living painting and sculpting these days. Usually they go into teaching art in some form or fashion hoping to inspire the next great artist. But then I realized, they are working in jobs like this, true artists, getting paid better than Van Gogh ever did and while their work may sometimes be just temporary, it is preserved forever in digital.
Just to let you know, this is the set being built for the new James Bond movie. I tried to walk around the lot but I was quickly stopped by security, Oh well I tried.
Magic wand anyone?
Cupboard under the stairs.
Front door to Hogwarts
The great Hall, the ceilings are put in digitally.
The sorting hat.
Christmas banquet, ice sculpture.
Easter Banquet.
A box measuring about 12 feet in length using forced perspective.
This is your reminder, this is all just on set. The actors literally walk outside one box and into another to change scenes. Above is the potions lab inside and below is what it actually looks like from the outside.
Again,reality check, it's just a box.
This is the real train used. It had been on loan in the US but it has just returned.
Just a box, not a real station.
The Knight bus.
Number 4 Privot Drive
Diagon Alley
Card board models usually 1/12 scale.
The masterpiece, 1/32" scale.
I was not brave enough to try "Butter Beer" but I was up to trying a lemon eclair. It was good but I still enjoy a chocolate or maple.
And lastly, I've forced myself to not buy any souvenirs from my adventures, instead I've kept this blog and printed out photo books to remember my stay, but I had to do this.
What an amazing day, I would compare the work I saw to being "equal-to or better-than" anything I've ever seen in an art gallery.









































No comments:
Post a Comment