Saturday, 19 October 2013

Heritage Museum

A quiet Saturday today.  I am now on half term break.  I didn't think that I was tired but I actually had a nap today however it was after a morning of visiting the Grimsby town Fishing Heritage Centre.  This town was built on the fishing industry and now because of overfishing there is a ban on the fishing of Haddock.  In the early 1900's there were only a handful of fishing trawlers in the port.  In the mid 1900's there were over 700.  Today only 1-3 are ever in port.  The city has suffered because of this and no other industry has been able to succeed.

Part of a scene within the museum.   A motorized bike from the 50's.



There were various setups that as a viewer you are placed in the scene.


This is steel cable.  It is one and a half inch thick.  If the cable frayed, one single thread would be enough to decapitate a person.


This is the engine room  I think I can remember the details.  There are 7 cylinders each having 780 horse power.  The noise was incredible and was only a recording.  All of the engine crew would have gone deaf from the noise.


The galley and the mess room.  The dinner is set on tables which have a frame to hold the plates in place during rough water.  This is where the phrase "three square meals" came from.








I did not expect to enjoy the tour of the boat outside the museum, but our tour guide worked on the ship for two years and the passion he had for this ship was evident.  He made the tour so enjoyable.

As a side note, I am off to Whitehaven on Monday for a week.  My Uncle Ernest and Aunt Gene have invited me to visit.  I can't wait to see them and hopefully their family (missing John) and visit my dads birth place.

1 comment:

  1. Have a grand week in Whitehaven with your family. Lovely photos of your visit to the Grimsby town Fishing Heritage Centre. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete