Sunday, 29 December 2013
Roman Helmet
I am now in London. Ready to discover museums and art galleries, Windsor castle and whatever I find along the way.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to see Carlisle and the Museum. My Uncle mentioned a Roman Helmet that was recently uncovered by a man with a metal detector, only about 6 inches below ground and after some restoration work it was sold at auction for 2.2 million pounds. The buyer has remained anonymous but has generously allowed the public to view it at no extra cost besides the entrance to museum. The helmet is one of the best of its kind ever found and dates as far back as the first century.
We explored other areas of the museum but this was by far the most exciting.
The night previous I was able to solve a memory mystery. I was only 6 when I was last here and the small bits of memory I have are not easily understood. But with the help of Ernest/Gene and John/Margaret we managed to figure out my recollection of an Easter in Thornhill. I'm still unsure if it was me or my mother who was having the temper tantrum over an ice cream cone but at least I know who's house it was (Uncle John and Aunt Margaret). Uncle Ernest drove me by my grandmother's old house and his post office also in Thornhill and it's nice to know that these memories were correct.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment