I visited everything on my itinerary for today and the day is not over. Tonight I will go down to the Thames River to see the fireworks.
I went to Trafalgar Square and visited the National Gallery. There were moments I had to pinch myself and moments I felt like crying. I saw: Monet's, Renoir's, Van Gogh's, Cezanne's and so many more. Then I went to the Portrait Museum around the corner. There were people everywhere and my patience was tried on more than one occasion. My favourite moment was when I was studying a portrait of Prince Henry and Prince William. I was only about two feet away and a woman came and stood between me and the painting. Normally I would move over but she was facing me and not the painting as she was talking to someone behind me. So I just stared at her as if she was the work and she eventually got the message. PATIENCE!!!!
Then I wandered St. Jame's Park and realized the Palace was at the other end. I could not be this close and not go right to the gates.
Afterwards I went to the Churchill War Rooms. What a fantastic museum. I highly recommend this to anyone who visits this incredible city.
I returned back to Judi and Joel's place (friends from Nipissing who have let me stay in their flat while they are at home in Ontario) to rest before heading out again tonight. I was nervous about going out so late but the bus stop is very close to my destinations.
Large Blue Cock outside the National Gallery.
Georges Seurat's Bathers at Asnieres I can't believe how large this is. We studied the impressionist style but until you see it in person you can't comprehend it's magnificence. Photos are strictly forbidden in the gallery but I wanted to show you the incredible size.
The Queen's Horse Guards
There it is, as seen from the hot dog vendor's in the park. I was really looking forward to a real hot dog with real american mustard, but then he flattened the bun in a panini press (not everything is better from a press).
Her crest on the gates
Guard on duty.
Big Ben. for now I will take the opportunity for a picture, maybe on another day I will explore the Westminster Hall itself.
So tonight the fireworks, Happy New Year Everyone!










Happy New Year Melanie! Looks like you are having a great end to 2013! I love all your pictures!
ReplyDeletehappy new year! i can't wait for the next exciting chapter in your life in 2014!
ReplyDelete