Friday, 3 January 2014

Day 5 in London

I am completely done in.
With map in hand I set out this morning for Camdon Town Market.  I am so thankful I left before the crowds began to form.  This city is crazy busy all day and all night.  While in Camdon I went to the Horse Stables Market.  It was incredible.  there was amazing food and spectacular sights to photographed. I made way up from there to Primrose Hill and saw the city from one of the highest vantage points.  At this point the weather went from mild and sunny to windy and cold, so I headed back to rest and put on a warmer coat.  Thank goodness I did because as soon as I got back there was a thunderstorm.
After some cheesecake (it makes everything better) the weather cleared and I ventured back out.  This time I went up Oxford street (the shopping district) and slalomed through all the people to make my way to Wallace House.  Here there was a small contemporary glass exhibit as well and some beautiful pieces from the Wallace Collection.
I could not stop there though, with the help of a Google maps app on my phone,  I found my way to the London Eye.  It was closed due to the high winds but I would not have gone on it anyway.  I thought about skating again, but the cost was too high, almost ten pounds for less than an hour on a very small rink.
Still I could not go back, I was drawn to Big Ben in the night.


These Bronze statues are everywhere throughout the market.

They really are horse stables converted to these wonderful market stalls.  These are some of the doors of vendors who where not yet open.


A Mosaic statue.







Many thanks to my cousin Brenda (Werth) who put the bug in my ear to visit Camdon.  It is just down the street from where I am staying but I had no idea it would be so fantastic.  And thanks to Emma who encouraged me to go, and even prepared a map with directions.  Despite all your efforts I still managed to get turned around but not as bad as New Years Eve.


At the top of Primrose Hill overlooking the city.  An inscription at the top reads " I have conversed with the spiritual sun, I saw him on Primrose Hill". (William Blake)

A walk on the Towpath along the Thames.


The neatest shoes I have ever seen.

One of the pieces in the glass exhibit.  I thought of Kevin when I saw this, he was working on some high speed photography which captures a drop of water falling onto a thin layer of water and how it bounces upwards after impact. 

A tunnel going towards the Eye.  Street artists seem to have their own panels and are respectful of each others work.  At first I was intimidated and did not want to venture through on my own, but when I realized what it was, I was in awe.









This was a big day.  Tomorrow I may get some sightseeing done, but for the most part I will be travelling back to Grimsby,  I am a bit relieved to just go home and relax (I mean plan lessons for next week).


2 comments:

  1. i love the mosaics, the glass work and the street artists. imagine having a place for graffiti artists to display their work in waterloo. safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant colours and the glass piece is very beautiful.The Horse Tunnel Market looks like a very interesting place to explore. Back to normal scheduling on Monday morning and from what the weather forecast is predicting perhaps another winter storm from which to dig ourselves out of. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete