I set off this morning for Windsor Castle.
As many of you know I had the opportunity as a child to travel with my parents and one of our trips was to Windsor Castle to see the Queen's Doll House. However the day we came, the Castle was closed. Being only 6 at the time I remember the drive up a hill and the drive back down. Ever since, I have been inspired by Queen Mary's doll house. I even did a research paper on the subject in high-school. Then my passion for building miniatures started about 25 years ago and this grew to a new level when I joined the Trillium Miniaturists club 10 years ago.
Today I realized a dream, I visited the Doll House in person at the Windsor Castle. Photography was strictly forbidden so I found these on the internet. There is electricity, the outside shell lifts up to reveal the interiors, dinnerware is made of silver, real books, the list goes on and on (you can Google it yourself).
It is a huge Castle.
If it had not been raining I might have enjoyed just wandering the shops, but the rain and excruciating pain from walking kept me moving in the direction of the train station.
This made me laugh. The Queen on one side and Kate and Harry on two others. (It's not a real phone booth.)
This is in the train station. I was excited to see it but now I am contemplating the question "Where are the Tim's?"










I saw a documentary on PBS about this doll house. It is brilliantly made with the fine details and craftsmanship. It must have been an absolute wonderment seeing that in person finally for you. One more item off the bucket list. Did you have the time and was the public allowed to tour some other parts of Windsor Castle?
ReplyDeleteHi Denney, yes I toured the state rooms. They are all still used by the Queen and you could see the rooms and learn about the restoration work after the fire in 1992. The interiors were incredible and much of it had Christmas decorations as well.
Delete